This site uses JavaScript—Adblock must be disabled to view some JavaScript functions

Welcome to LanceBase

Ready to join the forum? A diverse community of freelance professionals awaits.

Wix

Discussion in 'Freelance Community Chat' started by witchwriter, Jul 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. witchwriter

Registered Member

I heard about Wix the other day. Does anybody here use Wix? You sign up for free and then sign up and design sires as a showcase kind of build a portfolio?

2. chundley

Registered Member

I have, but in my experience it's taken a little less seriously then other content development management programs like WordPress, Drupal or Joomla, if you're trying to score web development / web management freelance projects.

3. witchwriter

Registered Member

lol I remember having to explain to people what Joomla is. Also Drupal took a loooooong time to become a mainline option. It used to be just the poor cousin of the other Cms modules in the hosting connection or panel.

4. chundley

Registered Member

Lol. I remember a very awkward meeting with my former boss - a Trinidadian lawyer who insisted on calling links "hotlinks" and would ask me to create links in his documents by saying "Make this [word] hot and that one hot" - where I explained to him his options as far as a new CMS for our employer's website. Drupal, Joomla, SharePoint, even WordPress - he rolled his eyes each time and acted like I was crazy.

5. witchwriter

Registered Member

Chundley do you remember Homestead at Yahoo? I had a client that insisted I do her website on a platform she could operate to update and change.
    Her boyfriend decided after I had put in enough time for ten web sites that he wanted it in his acct., on Earthlink.
    I had started this project on Yahoo homestead so she could always access it. Also so we could collaborate on line.
    This client was trying to move into this house her boyfriend had renovated in Pasadena. She had spent a year working like a donkey to make it worth over a million dollars. Right as they finished the makeover he broke up with her.
    It was his website. About the house flip and his realty business. But he refused to put the land line in so there was no Earthlink. He did this and still.insisted the website be direct from his own house on his earth link acct. but then he said she could not move in so she wouldn't legally have access. So the utilities were not in her name. She told me not to deliver the website to him. she played me against him. He still demanded it installed on.his Earth link which in those days required a dedicated land line.
    She told him when the house was finished she would be moving her two kids in the house. Apparently she had maintained before this that the kids would live with her mother after they (as a couple)!moved in.
    He didn't want her to use the electric and phone bills being in her name to claim common law marriage and thus community property ownership in the house. since they were in her name before when she lived there. He wouldn't install the new phone and electric Lines because he didn't want it ready for her to move into.
    she tried to use me to strong arm him into letting her move in. He'd better do it or he wouldn't get his website...
    I emailed her the HTML of the sire code and the login URL and the password to the yahoo acct with the homestead website of her project I had made. I used Homestead because she could WYSIWYG her way through it.
    I spent about $200 above the cost of the job making phone calls to her to massage both of them to the next stage of the project. I gave up and cut my losses.
    I was flabbergasted years later to find out she had bad mouthed me to another person who could have sent a lot of work my way.
    Nice.

6. chundley

Registered Member

Yikes!

I do remember Homestead, EarthLink ... Feels like a lifetime ago.

witchwriter likes this.