Neil_from_Zig

Registered Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My first post - glad I found this community! It's a great idea.

I made a simple freelance rate calculator. The idea behind it is to try and calculate a rate based on your income needs, costs, and longterm goals. Not sure if I thought of everything, but to me is 'feels' about right. 😀 It's not in any currency - just numbers.

I thought I'd share it here and would love feedback. Also happy to have a discussion about rates in general.

HFloyd

Registered Member
Reaction score
Hi @Neil_from_Zig Your calculator looks great, but my suggestion is to change the fields to request MONTHLY numbers. Perhaps some things (like software) are more of an annual expense, but I think monthly would be the easiest from a user perspective (most people have a handle on their monthly expenses off the top of their head).

Another option would be to allow people to just paste in the actual business expenses as a single annual number, copied from their last tax return (if they do business taxes - such as Schedule C in the USA).

jakobpersson

Registered Member
Reaction score
This is a cool idea. I personally prefer fixed value-based pricing. It's not as easy to calculate though and requires a fair amount of good judgment.