Novelty started to wear off I guess

Tominis

Registered Member
Reaction score
Good evening, hope you're all having a wonderful day. It's been about a month now since I quit my eight to five and started as a freelancer. At first the hype was real and sky was the limit. I mean I like to work from home, wake up when I want, but I feel like I'm missing my coworkers, chit-chat a lot and I'm just so used to having some fun at work. It's weird. Can anyone relate to that? Any suggestions on how to flip this thing around? Anyone been freelancing for a while now and faced any other roadblocks I should expect in the future?

workathomeDJ

Registered Member
Reaction score
It's totally normal to go through office withdrawal! I left the office and started freelancing over ten years ago. I dealt with those feeling for several years. I loved being independent and working from home, but I missed my coworkers and the social part of being in an office. I had also moved to a new city, so I couldn't just drop in and visit them if I wanted to.

One thing I found helpful was to join local groups. For example, I'm an animator so I joined our local ASIFA chapter and went to regular meetings. They also held a weekly "Drink n' Draw" at a bar, which was just fun. I also joined a networking group for small biz owners. Both groups not only helped me by being able to socialize, I also got a few gigs from them.

There are also online groups you can join where they do regular group video chats. It depends on your industry, but if you get on twitter you might find people who do that (speaking of which, twitter is also good for socializing). You can find me at http://twitter.com/workathomedj.

It does get easier as time goes by.