Newbie Freelance

alyssabowman81

Registered Member
Reaction score
I have always had a passion for writing and want to get more involved. I started a blog 3 years ago and have maintained that. I have almost 1900 followers around the world. Recently, I started looking into a freelance career, but find myself a little lost. I created a profile on Upworks already, but have yet to move any further. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you in advance and I hope you are having a lovely weekend!

workathomeDJ

Registered Member
Reaction score
I have always had a passion for writing and want to get more involved. I started a blog 3 years ago and have maintained that. I have almost 1900 followers around the world. Recently, I started looking into a freelance career, but find myself a little lost. I created a profile on Upworks already, but have yet to move any further. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you in advance and I hope you are having a lovely weekend!
That's awesome that you've got a blog and a following. It's hard to maintain! I'm fairly new to Upwork, though I've been creating illustration and design for a very long time. It can be frustrating at first, it's a bit of a catch-22. If you have successfully completed gigs your profile/proposals get seen and accepted more. It took me several months of submitting proposals before I got my first gig, and I did the that one at a heavily discounted rate. It takes some patience and perseverance.

You can also get gigs on your own. It's harder, but you're also not competing with everyone else who submitted a proposal on a gig-finding platform. Since you have a successful blog going already, you can use it as an intro to get writing gigs. One thing to try is approaching other blogs or sites and just ask if you can write something for them. If you can build up a portfolio of other sites you've written for, you have a good shot at getting paid more down the road.

alyssabowman81

Registered Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! My blog started off about Multiple Sclerosis because I have lived with it for going on 20 years, but it has become more! I try to spread positivity as much as I can because I think we need it, especially those in the United States. I did sign up with Upwork, but honestly have not done anymore. I really want to get into freelance writing because of my love for writing.

How can I get gigs on my own? Can I really use my blog to get writing gigs? I am so glad you responded because I think you will have some good advice and knowledge to share and I love connecting with others that enjoy writing!!!

workathomeDJ

Registered Member
Reaction score
I totally agree about spreading the positivity!

To start getting writing gigs, try this:
1. Find a site you like, or one that's similar to your writing style or subject (like MS, for example).
2. Contact the owner of the site, give them a bit of your background, let them know you're interested in their site and would like to contribute a post or article. Give them a link to your site so they can see your writing style. Alternatively, you can write an article or post in advance and see if they would be interested in using it.
3. Do this for free a few times to build up a small portfolio. Then you can start mentioning a rate when you approach sites to write for. It will also be easier to get gigs on Upwork with examples you can link to.

You can also start letting friends and family, anyone in your network, that you are offering your writing services, like essays/papers, resumes, social media posts, like that. You can also offer help copy editing papers as well as writing them.

It takes a while to get clients, but keep at it. You can do it!