Never work for free

faxit

Supporter
Registered Member
I don't care what the circumstances are, you should never and I mean never ever ever work for free. Make sure you have a good contract drafted, get a deposit or down payment before you begin work. Just some advice from a guy who learned things the hard way, from dealing with a asshole client who up and vanished after I poured my hear and soul into his project.

c4cyber

Registered Member
I totally agree with you. There is lots of advice on working for free when starting out. But I never agreed to it. I'm not free or worthless. My work take effort. I use my energies and skills to get what? nothing. That's just a right advice.

michelle_shean

Registered Member
Hi, I'm new to this freelance business. I initially thought up to offer to do a small project (something that would take less than 2 hours to do) to a potential client for free, and that way he would get a taste of my skills before hiring me. I'm not sure what is wrong with that but I know not to work for free all the way to the end. It's just some strategy I come up with to pull in more clients. Advice?

TedwardJr

Registered Member
Hi, I'm new to this freelance business. I initially thought up to offer to do a small project (something that would take less than 2 hours to do) to a potential client for free, and that way he would get a taste of my skills before hiring me. I'm not sure what is wrong with that but I know not to work for free all the way to the end. It's just some strategy I come up with to pull in more clients. Advice?
@michelle_shean I think that is perfectly fine and I have done it many times, but it depends on the situation. I do make sure that they have a budget before doing the free example work though.