Making Your Job Application Stand Out From the Rest

debng

Registered Member
In another thread (re: places to search for jobs), I wondered how many applications are received on average for advertised jobs because the competition is fierce. It got me thinking about the different things I do to make my application stand out from the rest. I thought I'd share my tips here and maybe you can all share your strategy as well.

The freelance writing world is growing every day with more and more writers competing for the same jobs. It must be a challenging task to sift through so many applications from qualified writers. When I apply for new freelance writing jobs, I do so with both the competition and the potential client in mind. After all, I want to stand out in the best possible way.

Research the client
Before I apply for a job, I take the time to research the client/business to learn as much about them as possible.This enables me to write a cover letter specific to that client and tailor my abilities to meet their needs.One thing I learned from doing this for so long, is that most potential clients can sniff out a cookie cutter cover letter from a mile away. They want someone who feels they can solve a unique problem and not just say what everyone wants to hear. It's important to make sure the application is specific to the client.

Provide relevant samples
All experienced writers have published samples they provide to potential clients in order to give them an idea of their writing style, knowledge, and ability to research and write certain topics. Many private clients want to hire writers that have knowledge of a particular topic, rather than hire generalists who can Google and rewrite information. So I only apply for jobs in which I know the subject matter and have writing samples to back up my claims. This serves two purposes - 1. It shows the client I know my stuff in relation to that topic, 2. I don't waste my time (or the potential client's) applying for something in which I'm not qualified.

Don't use a lot of jargon
I find that potential clients want straight talk; What can I do for them and how will I get it done? They don't want to hear a lot of buzzwords or boasting. While it's important to talk up my skills and achievements, that stuff isn't important unless it relates to the client. So rather than make it about me,I make it about them and what I can do for them.

So those are my tips. How do you showcase your expertise and make your application(s) stand out from the crowd?