Learning two different skills for freelancing, should I pick one?

ZenMittal

Registered Member
Reaction score
I am learning these two skills:
1. UX/UI design skills for both websites and mobile apps (using adobe XD and Figma).
2. Mobile app development (with Google Flutter).

I am learning them both using various books and online courses.
I spend about 3 hours for each in learning these skills as I like both of them.

My idea is to start freelancing as soon as I feel I have enough skills (Certainly within the next 3 months).

But I have never worked before (neither in a job nor as a freelancer).
So, should I start selling 1 of these skills when I set up my profile on Upwork as a newbie (and then start selling the other after a while)?
Or I should start with both skills and start picking project for any of the skills I get?

Or Should I specialize myself entirely in 1 skill for a better long-term specialization as both of these skills are extremely different from each other?

Please share your opinion. I really need some perspective.
Thanks for reading.

Migumelar

Registered Member
Reaction score
If you have enough skill for both, go for both. Otherwise, go with only 1 you the most comfortable with.
Just a note: learning on the fly while having a deadline is stressful, make sure you can deliver what you have promised to your client.
Avoid under-deliver if possible, especially if you just started.

But my suggestion is to focus entirely on 1 skill for long-term specialization, when you looking for a job specialization matter more than generalization.

ZenMittal

Registered Member
Reaction score
Thanks brother, especially for your extra tip on deadline. Really appreciated. I am deciding for mobile development and learning UX design skills as a part of that only.

hoangminhzob

Registered Member
Reaction score
If you have enough skill for both, go for both. Otherwise, go with only 1 you the most comfortable with.
Just a note: learning on the fly while having a deadline is stressful, make sure you can deliver what you have promised to your client.
Avoid under-deliver if possible, especially if you just started.

But my suggestion is to focus entirely on 1 skill for long-term specialization, when you looking for a job specialization matter more than generalization.
if i were ZenMitta, i chose UX/UI design skills for both websites and mobile apps