Landing a job outside of Upwork

Abdelkader

Registered Member
Hello guys,
I've been working on Upwork for the last two years as a writer, transcriptionist and virtual assistant. I managed to build a good portfolio as a I earned 5* on all my writing related tasks. Sadly, during one of the jobs, the Upwork ID verification went wrong and I got suspended :S . I asked for a video ID verification but Upwork refused. Anyway, long story short, I can no longer work on there and for the past two months I've been looking for different platforms and companies where I can offer my services, but no luck so far.

I tried Freelancer but got contacted there only by few individuals offering shady businesses (most of them have duplicate accounts and would get their accounts closed within few days; makes me wonder if Freelancer itself is legit). So, no luck on here.

I tried GoLance, which seemed to me like a "ghost freelance town". There were hardly any jobs and I read on the internet that the website actually hired both clients to post jobs on there and freelancers to apply to them. Have any of you guys tried it before? Thoughts on it?

Next is Guru. This one looks very similar to Upwork. I applied to different jobs, but got no responses so far.

I'm currently trying Fiverr. I read plenty of positive feedbacks concerning this one. I'm still trying to figure how it works, since it's very different from the other ones. I posted a couple of gigs and waiting for the results.

Other than these freelancing platforms, I tried few micro tasks websites and most of em were scams. Found a legitimate one called ClixSense, but the tasks offered very little pay compared to the time it might take to complete them. ClixSense would be practical for some extra pocket money, but doing tasks as your main occupation wouldn't earn you much.

I have a bachelor degree in English language, culture and civilization and aiming to get a TEFL certificate in the near future. So I thought why not try online teaching. I tried my luck with few English teaching companies (mainly those where you have to teach chinese/japanese kids). Since I'm a non-native, I had less companies to apply too. These companies would mainly require you to have a plain background or a kids friendly one, a good headset and a good camera. Of course, you'd have to pass their interview too. My only problem this time is that 90% of them pay via PayPal, which is unavailable in my country (tough luck). If anyone knows one that pays via Payoneer or Skrill, I'd be grateful if you could share their name.

Moreover, I tried applying to transcription websites like GoTranscript and Rev. I heard they take a lot of time to respond to applications, due to the volume of applications they receive, and it's true, as I'm still waiting.

I searched for Data Entry, Moderation, Chat/Live Support and Customer Service companies (which do pay with Payoneer), but then again, no luck.

I have a Youtube channel with over a 1000 subscriber, so I'm considering starting to make videos and monetizing the channel. If you're a youtuber or have few guides on how to become a successful one, once again, I'd be thankful if you could share with me.

I've also read about link shortening with Adfly and similar websites. Heard it can make some decent money on the long term. Was wondering if it's legit to combo it with Youtube?

This is my story so far. I want to hear you guys' thoughts on the different freelance platform. Which ones to invest in?
If you have any suggestions, don't hold back.

Thanks in advance :)

OP
OP
Abdelkader

Abdelkader

Registered Member
1. Well, the thing is - being a freelancer isn't easy. I would say you search for 'alternative of fiverr, upwork' and go for 'less-saturated website'(as I can't recommend you the name of site- it may be considered as spam agin) you have to work yourself ..
Choosing a marketplace which is comparatively new or has less user base is good for newbie. For time being you may not find many contracts but you will grow as site grows. Key is 'do not give up'.

2. Earning from youtube is basically earning from adsense. I know people say that they are earning 6 figures from adsense, my experience is different.

3. You can't start earning over-night. Be patient. Have atleast 6 months on your side atleast till you see some money rolling in your account.

4. Try E-Books. Sell to people directly. If they like your book sell them. Now, as you dont' have paypal, ask them to pay you via skrill. Lots of people use it. I don't know about your country, but there are many paypal money changers in countries like pakistan where you can't have paypal.
Now if you sell e-books, its kind of all your money. You may be a good writer or bad one. You will know from you sale where you have to improve.

5. Freelancing is not for everyone. Try to find a job first and do other things as your side business. Once you are getting enough, you can leave job and continue with being financially free from 9-5 routine.
Thanks for the advice :) I'll give E-book selling a try too.

Whale

Registered Member
"I have a bachelor degree in English language, culture and civilization ". "the Upwork ID verification went wrong and I got suspended :S . I asked for a video ID verification but Upwork refused "

From where? i have never heard of that happening before. Can you post the support ticket?