If Someone is outsourcing his content writing task to me, how much he is getting for it from his client?

Wisdomrules

Registered Member
Reaction score
I am doing content writing for someone who is in turn have his client. He paying me 8HKD for 500 words. Is this fair price for 500 words? How much commission he may be getting from his clients for 500 words? How I can directly work for such clients?

LexDeVille

Registered Member
Reaction score
I am doing content writing for someone who is in turn have his client. He paying me 8HKD for 500 words. Is this fair price for 500 words? How much commission he may be getting from his clients for 500 words? How I can directly work for such clients?
I'm not familiar with HKD but it looks like 8 HKD is roughly equivalent to 1 USD. In other words, it's basically the lowest rate possible. If the client is paying that low, then they are probably earning $10 - $15 USD or 116 HKD per article. Based on that, I guess you could say it's a fair price, but it's not a very good price. At the same time, you have to consider the fact that they brought the client to you. You didn't have to do any work to earn that client which makes your life a lot easier, so there's a bit of a tradeoff.

If you want to work directly with clients, then you need to find ways to connect directly with clients. You can do that on freelance platforms like Upwork, People Per Hour, Fiverr, iWriter etc. You can also connect with clients on LinkedIn and Facebook. You can even connect with them locally by phone, email or in person. However you go about it, it's going to take time and effort from you to find, connect with, and sell yourself to clients. The platforms that are designed for connecting freelancers and clients are probably the easiest place to get started.

Wisdomrules

Registered Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with HKD but it looks like 8 HKD is roughly equivalent to 1 USD. In other words, it's basically the lowest rate possible. If the client is paying that low, then they are probably earning $10 - $15 USD or 116 HKD per article. Based on that, I guess you could say it's a fair price, but it's not a very good price. At the same time, you have to consider the fact that they brought the client to you. You didn't have to do any work to earn that client which makes your life a lot easier, so there's a bit of a tradeoff.

If you want to work directly with clients, then you need to find ways to connect directly with clients. You can do that on freelance platforms like Upwork, People Per Hour, Fiverr, iWriter etc. You can also connect with clients on LinkedIn and Facebook. You can even connect with them locally by phone, email or in person. However you go about it, it's going to take time and effort from you to find, connect with, and sell yourself to clients. The platforms that are designed for connecting freelancers and clients are probably the easiest place to get started.
Thanks for your answer!
Exploitation in the content writing job has increased a lot!
I don't understand the logic behind someone earning $15 USD from the work i done and I get only $1 USD from it!!! 15 times more!!! This is height of exploitation!

Last edited:

LexDeVille

Registered Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer!
Exploitation in the content writing job has increased a lot!
I don't understand the logic behind someone earning $15 USD from the work i done and I get only $1 USD from it!!! 15 times more!!! This is height of exploitation!
It's not really exploitation because you'd have to be treated unfairly for that. From your perspective the client is doing something wrong based on the difference between the amount he earns compared to what he is paying you. But there is no standardized pay scale for freelancers, and the client didn't force you to work for him (I hope). If the client wasn't paying you $1 USD, then you would be earning $0 USD.

The real problem is that your client's business is based on a flawed model. At $15 per article, he barely makes a profit on his time. It's even less if he makes $10 per article. You also have to factor in that he did the work to find and secure the client who is paying both of you. He doesn't get paid for that.

A third factor to consider is the time it takes your client to edit your writing. He doesn't get paid for that either, and if he doesn't want that to take up his time, then he has to hire and pay a proofreader or editor to clean up your writing. That cuts his $9 profit margin down to $8 or $7 or $6 per article (basically nothing).

Ultimately, your client is trying to run a profitable business. But to do that he has to maximize his profit margins. Since he already earns so little, the only way to make money is to pay others low rates. That doesn't mean he's exploiting you though. It's not personal. It's just business.

As a freelancer, you also run a business. If you can find clients and get them to hire you on your own, you can cut out the middle man and you won't need the low-paying client anymore. Then you might be the one earning $15 or more per article, and you can hire freelancers at whatever rate you choose. ;)