This site uses JavaScript—Adblock must be disabled to view some JavaScript functions

Welcome to LanceBase

Ready to join the forum? A diverse community of freelance professionals awaits.

Tips How to Overcome Writer’s Block

Discussion in 'Tips & Tutorials' started by Chillfrost, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Chillfrost

Chillfrost Registered Member
    Supporter

No matter the topic, language or ‘imminent deadline’, every writer has encountered a dry spell. In case you’re wondering if this applies to you, let me assure you, it does. In my case, I’ve gotten stuck on plenty of articles and even emails (yes, emails can be tough nuts to crack too). I often felt like banging my head on something to see if a nugget of inspiration would shake loose, but the thought of physical pain was definitely a deterrent.

I’ve been given plenty of advice over the years and I will list them down here. It won’t be in order of efficacy as I believe some solutions will work better only with certain individuals. If you’re familiar with some of the items below, just take it as a refresher or reminder course that even the simplest solutions can sometimes elude us.

Seek Randomness

This is definitely not a call to literally go wandering down an unfamiliar path. Sometimes our train of thought gets halted at an annoying station (or point). Instead of acting the irate passenger and demanding our brains to move on, this is probably the best time to divert our attention to something else other than what we were focusing on before.

Examples of randomness could be taking a book and just randomly picking a sentence of a page to start a story or writing of your own. If you have someone else to partner with, you could also start by writing the starting sentence to a story with one or two words ending on the next line. You can then fold the paper so that only the last one or two words remain for your partner to continue the story in the same fashion. Since both of you will not know what the previous line was about, you’ll definitely be amazed at the coincidences and randomness once the story is read out loud. If laughter ensues (and it usually does), all the better.

Mind Mapping

I’ll admit that I’m partial to this method of visually listing down my ideas and thoughts. It will not be everyone’s cup of tea but you should at least try it once to see if it works for you.

First off, start with a central topic, sentence or idea. Branch out from there to other connected ideas and topics. You don’t have to worry if the branch seems a little shaky or disconnected from the trunk. After all, this is an exploration of ideas and what might seem silly or unrelated might turn out useful in the end. From the branches that sprout out, produce even more small branch-outs (like the example above). Once you’re satisfied that you’ve filled up most of the space available, just take a gander back to see what you’ve got so far.

Another method you could try would be jotting down notes or scribbling and doodling your ideas down. Don’t attempt to be perfect. Initial ideas seldom are. The main thing is that your thoughts are noted down before it disappears into the void forever (Just kidding!).

WIRMI

No, this is not the name of a pet worm. It stands for What I Really Mean Is. This method is effective for getting past conflicting thoughts to just state your idea or a phrase in its rawest form.

It can be used at any stage in the writing process as it is not dependent on topic or sentence structure. Rather, the more important part of this method is “your” stance and thoughts concerning the subject. This will not be the time to worry about punctuation or grammar as that can come later in the revision stage.

If you’ll like to get into the habit of using this method, simply start off by addressing the subject of your writings with WIRMI. There can be several ideas or scenes on a single page and there really is no limit to how many times WIRMI can be used to align your thoughts.

The Start, The Middle, and The End

Any piece of writing can be divided up into several parts. As a writer, I’ve gotten stuck on more sections than I can remember. I used to believe that as long as I could get past the introduction, everything else would flow smoothly. When things didn’t get better even after a couple of sentences in, I would feel a sense of hopelessness descending on me.

It struck me one day that I was particularly insistent on getting the “Start” right. I’ve always had a perfectionist streak and I finally realized that it wasn’t doing me any favors. I realized that a sentence or phrase can be perfected over time (or over several revisions) and I didn’t need to force myself to complete it at the beginning.

If you’re having trouble at the start of your writings, you can always approach the issue sideways. You’ll have to get to the middle or another point at some time or other, so why not at the start? When you feel ready to jump right back into the beginning, you’ll feel more refreshed and focused.

Set Aside Time

There’s really nothing that annoys me more than getting interrupted several times while I’m writing or thinking of how to phrase something. Just imagine trying to enjoy a juicy hamburger and getting constant messages coming into your phone which you have to answer. In the former, I’m left re-picking up whatever stray pieces are left of a thought and in the latter, I just can’t finish eating my burger.

Try to avoid multitasking when you’re in the midst of writing. At the very least, you should cut down on as many external distractions as possible (yes, that means devices, the Internet, and emails). You don’t have to cut yourself off from the world indefinitely. Just set a realistic writing time - say, an hour? - and do your very best to focus for that length of time.

Be Proactive

Go for a walk. Run down to the store to get your favorite snack. Tackle that list of things to do around the house. Take a drive in an unfamiliar neighborhood. The truth is that you should always be doing something, even if it means getting enough rest for your brain to start functioning normally again.

Let’s do a little side-tracking here. Imagine yourself swimming (even if you can’t). The water parts as you slice through it like a torpedo. All of a sudden, a cramp comes on and your legs become a burden instead as you struggle to stay above the waterline. Instead of panicking and pushing your legs to work harder, use your arms to compensate so that your legs have the chance to recover. If you’re able to float, even better.

The example above might not be the best (and can also bring back some bad memories to some, which I’ll apologize for). What I’m trying to convey here is that pushing hard on your writings can sometimes bring about a worse outcome. At the minimum, you can wind up feeling frustrated and irritable and at the other end, you could also burn out.

Make time to seek inspiration from other sources. You’ll be surprised what can actually inspire your writings sometimes. For this article, I was actually listening to songs in another language (a language which I don’t understand). There’s really no telling what your brain will latch on to.

2. dawndgolden

Registered Member

Thank you so much for this! I've always struggled with writer's block. In fact I had a small bout of it while I was getting started on my work this morning. I tried the WIRMI method and it definitely helped a bit. I used to do the 'proactive' method- but found that rather than actually getting over writer's block, it usually just caused me to get side tracked and begin procrastinating.

3. Chillfrost

Supporter

I'm glad this has been of some help. :)

I definitely understand what it's like to procrastinate, especially when I'm feeling uninspired. Another thing I usually end up doing is pacing back and forth in a certain pattern while saying my thoughts out loud. I find that this actually helps the creative thinking process, but can be a bit cumbersome in a more public setting. However, you can try this at home without saying things out loud (if you feel a bit crazy doing so).

4. dawndgolden

Registered Member

That actually sounds like a really good idea, Chillfrost. I've heard of similar techniques before- a kind of 'get your mind back on track' exercise. The physical activity can also promote better circulatory movement, which has been scientifically proven to aid in concentration, so that makes a lot of sense. I'll definitely try that idea as well. Thanks for sharing!

5. Chillfrost

Supporter

No problem dawndgolden! :laughing: I'm currently in the midst of writing (or attempting to), and my feet itches to walk. :sticktongueout: