How to end a contract after finding out that the job is immoral.

lancer342

Registered Member
Reaction score
Hello community!

I accepted a contract a few months back on Upwork and told the client I'll be available to work with him over the long term.
However, the longer I work on the job, the more I realize that the client is misleading his customers and lying to them (and making me a part of it).
Now I don't want to be a part of that and would like to end the contract with him, but I'm afraid he will leave me bad feedback if I just tell him, "I realized that your business is corrupt and I don't want to work with you anymore."
Any ideas how I can end this contract on good terms, considering I told him I'll be available long term (we never defined what that meant)?

All your suggestions would be really helpful!

bpark

Registered Member
Reaction score
Dear Client,

It's been great working with you for the past X weeks. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons, I won't be able to continue this work after X date. I realize this is short notice and I'll do my best to make this as hassle-free for you as I can.

Included are details of what has been/will be completed:

Here are the details of what will not be able to be completed:

To help you move forward with your project, I'd be happy to give you a referral / provide X-days of email support / create a workflow that you can share with another freelancer to get them up to speed quickly / refund you for work already paid for. (Obviously don't offer to refund if you haven't been paid in advance and don't offer a referral if you find what they're doing to be unethical.)

Thank you for your understanding and support.

lancer342

lancer342

Registered Member
Reaction score
Dear Client,

It's been great working with you for the past X weeks. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons, I won't be able to continue this work after X date. I realize this is short notice and I'll do my best to make this as hassle-free for you as I can.

Included are details of what has been/will be completed:

Here are the details of what will not be able to be completed:

To help you move forward with your project, I'd be happy to give you a referral / provide X-days of email support / create a workflow that you can share with another freelancer to get them up to speed quickly / refund you for work already paid for. (Obviously don't offer to refund if you haven't been paid in advance and don't offer a referral if you find what they're doing to be unethical.)

Thank you for your understanding and support.

lancer342
Thank you so much!