This site uses JavaScript—Adblock must be disabled to view some JavaScript functions

Welcome to LanceBase

Ready to join the forum? A diverse community of freelance professionals awaits.

How to Deal With a Boss That Takes Credit for Your Work??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by shmathur, Apr 9, 2017.

Tags:
?

How should I handle this situation?

1. Confront Him Directly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Do Nothing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Go over his head and Report to CEO

100.0%
  4. Gather Witnesses and Confront Directly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. shmathur

Registered Member

Hello All...

I have recently encountered a problem at my work with my boss and I am worried if I handle it wrong I could be fired and I could really use the input of this forum. First I must set the stage. So, I work in a biotechnology firm as a financial analyst, but sometimes I dabble in lab work and recently I was put on a major research project by the companies' CEO. Now my immediate supervisor for this project is a total jerk, and he and I have always had problems from day one. He is very old and stuck in his ways, while I am younger and much more willing to try new things (and sometimes screw up those new things). Anyways there is a general level of animosity between the two of us... So as this project is unfolding and we encounter some major difficulties, it comes to my attention that there is a simple fix that could end up solving all of the problems we were having... I don't want to get into the science, but it turns out we were looking for the wrong gene pathway altogether. So I tell my team members my idea, we try it, and it totally works!! Then I tell this boss, who ends up telling the CEO that it was his idea to search for the new gene pathway, and the CEO totally believes him. So this boss has blatantly taken credit for an idea that was 100% mine, and my team members are too afraid to call him out on it!! What should I do?? I am afraid if I confront him directly that he will end up firing me on the spot for something completely unrelated in order to cover his tracks... I really like this job and do not want to lose it, but I need to get credit for this as it could totally help my career and even get me a promotion!! Please help

2. HeidiMull

HeidiMull Registered Member
    Supporter

If it were me, I'd report it to the CEO. If there are witnesses, mention that in your report.

Remaining calm and professional throughout is key, I think. Whether or not the CEO believes you or does anything about it, if it's on file in writing then at least it's somewhere. The CEO wouldn't have put you on the project if they didn't believe you were capable. Make sure s/he knows just how capable you are!

3. JakeSorich

JakeSorich Registered Member
    Supporter

I'd find a lawyer, or someone who knows how the wrongful termination laws work in your state before you do anything. You have rights, and he might not be able to fire you for pointing out to him how it was your idea and not his. Again, though, consult someone who knows how it works in your state, and if your employer has a particular set of standards for firing someone. I'm going through something sorta similar, but it's unclear what's going to happen yet.

Sorry to hear about this, though. That's frustrating, especially when you feel you can't do anything about it for fear of losing your job. I'd also consider that if this guy is going to take credit for your work, maybe it won't be so bad if you did end up leaving? That's easier said than done, believe me I know, but, it's worth asking if you want to keep working for someone who doesn't respect you enough to give you credit for something you did.

Anyhow, hope that helps, good luck in getting it figured out! :-)

HeidiMull and ryanmanfield like this.