This site uses JavaScript—Adblock must be disabled to view some JavaScript functions

Welcome to LanceBase

Ready to join the forum? A diverse community of freelance professionals awaits.

How did everybody Get involved in Freelancing?

Discussion in 'Freelance Community Chat' started by shmathur, Apr 9, 2017.

1. shmathur

Registered Member

I am just wondering what drove everybody here on this forum to get involved with freelancing in general? Did a classic 9-5 job not appeal to you, or were you laid off or was there some sort of difficulty you had that held you back from working normally. Or do you guys freelance in addition to having a normal 9-5 day job. I am very new to freelancing and I am just curious how other people decided that this is what they want to do?

2. HeidiMull

HeidiMull Registered Member
    Supporter

For me, it was definitely a difficulty that held me back from working "normally" (though I consider 9-5 jobs a pretty unnatural thing that has been conditioned into us as "normal"). I got ill at age 16 and have been too disabled to work since. Before then I was making pretty good money as a babysitter, house cleaner, organizer, yard care person, etc, so it made sense to me to go back to working odd jobs the moment I was well enough to do so.

If or when I become well enough to work a more "classic" job then I'll have a decision to make, but until then I'm just going to do the best I can with what I've got! The flexibility of freelancing is what currently allows me to work around all my health difficulties, and I really appreciate that.

3. closed

closed Guest

In my case, I guess I just got tired of the normal 9-5 jobs and decided to test my hand at freelancing: I am hopeful to eventually work only as a freelance and get rid of the obligations a company impose on me.

Besides, as a person with severe social anxiety, I haven't found a formal job where I can thrive. So I spend most office day just hanging there.

smwas86 and chrisg like this.
  4. JessicaL

Registered Member

I always freelanced while I was working a full-time job. As time went on, I found I enjoyed the freelancing more than the full-time job. I also wanted more freedom to travel and to have a career where I could work from anywhere. Freelancing 100% gave me that option (I am a Chicago native currently writing today from Prague).

chrisg likes this.
  5. smwas86

Registered Member

This is very encouraging. I am a new freelancer. Still hoping to get atleast one client.

bmccaskell3o likes this.
  6. closed

closed Guest

@smwas86 By all means, hang in there!

Freelancer is not about getting the first job fast, is about lasting long enough until a job you enjoy appears.

chrisg likes this.
  7. pupusawilliams

Registered Member

I am currently starting out to expand my writing portfolio, make extra money on the side, and learn/research/write about topics that interest me.

I currently work a standard job and also looking for a second job (or third job to freelancing, I guess). So any new tips and ideas on where to look would be greatly appreciated!

chrisg and bmccaskell3o like this.
  8. witchwriter

Registered Member

freelancing is also a good way to get feedback on your skills. We've all been forced to take jobs that didn't challenge us. Without freelance work my writing skills would have gone unused. That said, it's shocking to me at work when people make a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes and behave as if that is a good way to write or talk.

chundley and chrisg like this.
  9. Chinesemom

Registered Member

I came upon it by accident with freelance writing back in July 2008 but started with working at events from September 2007. Been doing more of work events which is how I'm paying my rent with my hun. I've been neglecting my writing business when doing event gigs so now trying to get back to online work.

I love deciding for myself on what I want to do while getting paid. I'm planning to train mine, and my hun's 9 year old daughter, to get into doing promos once they turn 18.

For now, need to work online for fun while making money in order to earn a living with online work while working at events.

I do enjoy writing and I miss it so seeing this opportunity definitely help.

pupusawilliams likes this.
  10. witchwriter

Registered Member

if people pay for it then it's a skill. that's the law of the jungle. All those years ago when people said you'd need writing skills. They were right.

11. chundley

Registered Member

I randomly came across Associated Voices before Yahoo bought it out and subsequently closed it down. I wrote a bunch of music reviews because I enjoyed doing it, but, as many of the articles revolved around freelancing, residual income, affiliate marketing, and the like, I began to entertain the idea of transitioning into freelancing full-time.

I was working and in grad school then so all I had time for then was the errant music review. Graduated, moved, started a new job, married, had a son ... but it was still in the back of my mind. I started again both for some extra cash. However, once I take care of some existing financial concerns, I am hoping to take the time to transition effectively to freelancing full-time.

I have a few friends who are freelancing in retirement or have made the switch and they are much happier. My job is actually a really good one, all things considered - one I enjoy the majority of the time. But it is inherently incredibly emotionally stressful (not because of office politics or anything like that). Further, I want to own my own business, and I want to write more than I do at work (which is rare after the conference calls, travel, and paperwork).