Help with an overdue payment

carlospinzon

Registered Member
Reaction score
Is there any advice on how to get a client to submit their final payment? All the work is complete but I have been waiting for 2 months and the client is no longer responding to my messages.

Neil_from_Zig

Registered Member
Reaction score
That sucks.

Not sure there's anything you can do at this point - you can sue, but that is costly. Unless you are talking about serious money it probably isn't worth it. You can set up an email drip, but they might block it.

I always structure deals so that payment is due on handoff, and at least 85% of the project has been paid out. If you budget for overages, for example by padding that 15%, you can either discount at the end or provide something extra for free. Tie payments to deliverables (40/40/15/15 or something like that), and attached a budget range to each. This way you can develop a relationship of trust with first time clients (who are also taking a risk), and by reducing the cost or providing extras to good clients you can get repeat business.

SelaanDuke

Registered Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine recently recommended an online service to get repaid. Addpaid.com, its supposed to be new and looks like an interesting approach to recovery. I havent needed it, but he used it and it worked for him. I hope for you as well

HFloyd

Registered Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you are based in New York City there is a law that The Freelancers Union got passed (more info here: https://www.freelancersunion.org/advocacy/freelance-isnt-free/). If you aren't in NYC you don't have the same legal protection, but they have some additional tips on their website to handle non-payment.

Personally, I think prevention is easier than dealing with non-payment after-the-fact. Some things I do:

* I have a contract that clients are required to sign before we start work. This shows I am serious about my business.

* Most of my work these days tends to be on an hourly basis, and I invoice every week for hours worked the week before. I have a Net 15 payment requirement (specified in the contract), which would limit my losses if I ever had an issue.

* I'm not sure what sort of work you do, but it would be a good idea to hold back some portion of the work until full payment has been provided - for instance, if you do design, don't provide a full-resolution PSD file until final payment. (These sorts of things would need to be included in your scope/contract.)

* Also, if possible, try to do a smaller project with new clients first, so you can both come to trust one another.

7dayplus

Registered Member
Reaction score
Can we get that law going in Cali by calling freelance union? I lost 2k in 2017 because of non-payment.

HFloyd

Registered Member
Reaction score
@7dayplus, if you go to the url I mentioned, and scroll down to "Bring #FreelanceIsntFree to Your City"... They have tools you might be interested in.

h3ct0r

Registered Member
Reaction score
Can we get that law going in Cali by calling freelance union? I lost 2k in 2017 because of non-payment.
@7dayplus, if you go to the url I mentioned, and scroll down to "Bring #FreelanceIsntFree to Your City"... They have tools you might be interested in.
It's not as simple as "getting it going", but your eagerness for legislation is shared by others in CA., including myself. Before anything was organized, before FU had that "Organizer's Toolkit", we all just pounded away at their doorsteps, emails and sent actual snail mail. You have to know how to contact your legislators https://www.lancebase.com/threads/the-freelance-isnt-free-act.2980/

jakobpersson

Registered Member
Reaction score
I think it's time someone builds a Glassdoor version for freelance clients. This kind of behavior needs to be made public so there are real consequences.