This site uses JavaScript—Adblock must be disabled to view some JavaScript functions

Welcome to LanceBase

Ready to join the forum? A diverse community of freelance professionals awaits.

Freelancing ethics? Where do YOU draw the line?

Discussion in 'Freelance Community Chat' started by HeidiMull, Apr 12, 2017.

1. HeidiMull

HeidiMull Registered Member
    Supporter

So, I don't know about the rest of you, but I could be making a lot more money right now if I would just lower my personal ethical standards. I've decided not to go that route because it feels like I would be eroding something intrinsic to my identity, namely that I like to contribute to the world the sort of thing I want to see in it.

For example: As a consumer I personally HATE fake reviews. With a passion. As a freelancer, though, I could be earning a lot more money doing that. I've decided that I'm going to draw that line for myself.

Where do you draw the line?

2. JakeSorich

JakeSorich Registered Member
    Supporter

Yeah, fake reviews are sketchy. I think for me, everything I write has my name on it, so that means if I start writing about less-than reputable things or what not, while it might be OK for a while, there will reach a point where my reputation starts crumbling and that's not something to me is worth it no matter how much you're getting paid. I have the opposite problem, though..I tend to find myself getting TOO picky about what I will try writing about. You have to be willing to open yourself up more to things that might not seem interesting or valuable, because it's all about getting that experience, even if it may mean accepting less money than you may usually make, or writing about something you wouldn't usually write about, as long as it's all legitimate, anyhow.

I won't touch Upwork or places like that, though. It seems like on there you're racing to the bottom of the barrel and they don't care so much about quality but instead how little clients have to pay for content. Plus, I've read from several good resources that those places don't help you find more work usually anyhow. Do you get a lot of offers to do fake reviews?