fiverr registered the word "Gig" - is it even legal?

idontfreelance

Registered Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Recently I posted my gigs on fiverr and found they put a ® near the word "Gig".
What do you think about it?

h3ct0r

Registered Member
Reaction score
Trademark isn't ownership. Facebook also trademarked "face", but it only applies to telecommunication services, so companies like Northface are safe. It's common for a company to spend a lifetime being involved in trademark attempts. It really means very little unless they have indisputable evidence you are competing with them in the same arena, and/or are attempting to intentionally confuse the public. Joe Schmo could only wish for a company like Fiverr to accuse him of mark violation. The suit would be laughed out of the courtroom, and the David vs Goliath publicity would be a goldmine for Mr. Schmo. Imagine if Mr. Schmo started a GoFundMe to raise money for legal defense against Fiverr and the attempt to over-control the word "Gig", used by the music industry before the owners of Fiverr were even born.

Improper use of a mark can land someone in serious legal trouble. If I was Fiverr I would be careful not to unearth any cases of them using the ® before they actually received the certificate of registration in the mail.

JohnDz

Registered Member
Reaction score
That is weird, a word so common being property of someone.

I remember when King intented to trademark common words like Candy and Saga, I dont know what the status is, but that is cheap, stingy and greedy.

In the case of fiverr it could be ok, in the freelance context, they made it famous, and you can call gigs projects, jobs, tasks on other sites. Gig isnt the only word you can use.
And I think it will not affect other industries, only freelance sites

beckywildkid

Registered Member
Reaction score
I believe they must have already done their homework and then went ahead to register the word and would not have any kind of obligation towards anyone to use it otherwise.

JohnDz

Registered Member
Reaction score
Oh I didnt know. I have seen projects, tasks in other sites, but never payed attention to craiglist.