This site uses JavaScript—Adblock must be disabled to view some JavaScript functions

Welcome to LanceBase

Ready to join the forum? A diverse community of freelance professionals awaits.

Finding Gigs

Discussion in 'Freelance Community Chat' started by SDCS80919, Nov 5, 2016.

1. SDCS80919

Registered Member

So I have created a "crawler" that scrapes Craigslist daily for gigs. Any others out there know of other ways/sites to find gigs that they'd be will to share?

2. nwarren

Registered Member

Yes. Upwork is a freelance sites for writers, editors and everything in-between. There fees for gigs are outrageous though which is why I stopped using them. Perhaps check out Freelancer.

3. SDCS80919

Registered Member

I agree. I've found some good gigs on Upwork but we work out a deal that I get paid via PayPal so I don't incur the Upwork fees and I in turn lower my hourly when the customer agrees to pay outside of Upwork.

MeganThompson likes this.
  4. lrich

Registered Member

Totally agree with that. They've changed their payment structure to make the fees higher. I'm an eBay seller as well and I now don't have to pay any Paypal fees because I just go to my "usuals" directly and do Paypal's friends and family option.

5. zuki

zuki Registered Member
    Supporter

This is interesting. Does the crawler run on a personal server or cloud to send you relevant posts? Also how often does it hit craigslist - is it every hour or day? I tried using setting different search filters but its hard to stay off the spam

6. Niccola

Niccola Registered Member
    Supporter

Hey @SDCS80919 , so i found an article i think you'll find useful. 70 freelancers reveal their best source of new income.

I'm interested in learning ore about your approach actually. I've heard of people who have used google reader (doesn't exist anymore) and other RSS feed apps to scour craigslist daily to find them gigs their qualified for. I want to do this too, so my question: "how does one set up a crawler on craigslist?"

Is there any special apps or software needed to do this?

ryanmanfield likes this.
  7. ECRadioCreative

Registered Member

Fiverr, of course. They seem to be moving away from their "cheap" image. They have lots of options on there now to charge higher rates and get gigs worth far more than $5. I get a lot of business coming through there, and the best part is the buyers come to you. Rarely do I do anything for just $5.

ryanmanfield likes this.
  8. Ksenija

Registered Member

Yes but most customers still go to Fiverr because they think it's the cheapest and that lowers the price.
    Imo you can't earn any significant amount on Fiverr, I've been trying that for year and 2-3 months. But on Upwork, you can, I have had 2 jobs on Upwork and still made more money for that month then 10 jobs on Fiverr...

9. Sarahk26

Registered Member

Definitely Fiverr, but lately there's so many add-ons that you can use that it really gets away from the $5 only image. Now it's $5 and up...way up. That's great for the freelancer, but not as great for the buyer.

10. Chris_A

Registered Member

Definitely stay away from Freelancer. Those guys charge you upfront directly from your PayPal without even asking you. And the thing is, they charge you once your bid on a gig got accepted by the client. However, if you fail to deliver work or the client does not like it, you won`t get your money back.