This site uses JavaScript—Adblock must be disabled to view some JavaScript functions

Welcome to LanceBase

Ready to join the forum? A diverse community of freelance professionals awaits.

Experiences on platforms

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Ksenija, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Ksenija

Registered Member

The idea is to have the thread for every freelance platform (that people from this forum actually use) and share their experiences, questions, problems etc with other people.
    I know there are 'threads' with every single platform but I can't post a comment there, I just can click on the platform's logo

2. fm-blue

fm-blue Moderator
    Staff Member

3. HeidiMull

HeidiMull Registered Member
    Supporter

I actually thing this is a great idea. For example I had some experiences the put me off from Fiverr, and it felt natural for me to maybe start a thread to post about it under the "Fiverr" platform section. I was disappointed there wasn't the option to participate there.

I realize I could technically go create a thread about it in the "community chat" area, but it doesn't really feel like it belongs there. Like the topic belongs someplace where people are already expecting to read stuff regarding Fiverr. Bottom line is I heartily second this suggestion. :)

4. fm-blue

fm-blue Moderator
    Staff Member

I know what you're saying, it was considered during development. The last thing we want is you feeling disappointed, please allow me to explain.

Each section has a description. The Freelance Platforms section for example, has a description that reads: "Widely recognized freelance platforms. (sign up info)". It is just that, an area that provides sign-up info for those platforms.

Another way that might help with adjusting to the layout is remembering that all discussions between freelancers, and that may be of benefit to the freelance community, live in the Freelance Community Chat area. All non-freelance discussions live in the Off-Topic area.

Members can count on the fact that if a freelance topic exists, it will be in one forum, Freelance Community Chat. If it does not exist, creating it is encouraged.

h3ct0r likes this.
  5. h3ct0r

Registered Member

It took me a few minutes to figure it out, then it makes all the sense. Especially because if it wasn't set up like that then platform threads would be strung all over the place. Like what if there was a news story about so and so, would it go in a designated section or the freelance community chat? I think its better to have it al in one spot.

6. fm-blue

fm-blue Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes this was a factor.

7. witchwriter

Registered Member

yeah I was disappointed in this too. This is obviously a forum for content writers. And you just have links set up as sections?

but there are no threads at all in the section marked with the platform name. Aren't you pretty much guaranteeing that the threads will be everywhere but in the exact section they belong?

8. h3ct0r

Registered Member

Hey whats up. All I know is that the section you guys are talking about doesn't have forums in it, so no threads or posts can "belong" there. Not every section is a forum on a forum.
    dd765861.jpg

9. witchwriter

Registered Member

the point you are missing is that there should be threads and forums there. You'll lead us to water but you won't let us drink? a section like that without forum posts or threads makes it advertisement.

10. h3ct0r

Registered Member

Why should there be threads and forum there when there is already a forum to talk about those?? I think you guys are the ones missing it. The drink is the click, on the link that I didn't know about before I came here. Like I did'nt know about toptal, then I saw the link, then I read about it, then I clicked it, now I know about it. If I wanna talk about it I'll do that in a forum. So you want to be able to post about the same platforms in a bunch of different forums? They would have to hire a thousand mods to keep corralling all the platform threads to their separate forums all day. Or whos to say what makes a post truly about the platform? What if someone has a post called "fiverr vs upwork", then where would it go? Thats why fmblue said it was a factor. Why would anybody want to go to multiple forums to hunt posts on a certain platform when they can just go to one forum and use the search bar if they want??

Please do not change this! it will make it a ***king mess and ruin whats going on here!!

11. witchwriter

Registered Member

but it looks like there are no threads and forum posts allowed under the platform name by sections. So in effect aren't you forcing us to put all the threads in one polyglot place?

12. fm-blue

fm-blue Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, that is correct.

Also correct. If members choose to use the site they need only visit one forum to find all freelance-related topics.

From within the Freelance Community Chat forum, if a search is performed for a word such as Upwork, the results will be the same as browsing a dedicated Upwork sub-forum. The question has always been why would a member want to click more, and further away from, the main forum if they do not have to?

If the BASE-MENT section is simply a visual nuisance, members have the ability to collapse it from view by clicking the Toggle Visibility + or - icons in the category bar's top right corner.

Thank you all very much for creating this dialogue and providing these suggestions. Your opinions are invaluable, please do not hesitate to present any valid reasons you think might warrant a change in layout.