This site uses JavaScript—Adblock must be disabled to view some JavaScript functions

Welcome to LanceBase

Ready to join the forum? A diverse community of freelance professionals awaits.

Content Writing Ombudsman

Discussion in 'Freelance Community Chat' started by witchwriter, Jul 25, 2017.

1. witchwriter

Registered Member

I wonder if us giggers need an industry ombudsman? PayPal can't do it and every escrow section still answers to the house. I never was able to make money with Flippa and according to their central concept I should have.
    Yet I see a lot of people getting steamrolled into underpricing their talent. Not paid for gigs.
    Maybe what the content writer's union needs is an ombudsman to speak for us and articulate our rights.

2. chundley

Registered Member

I agree, though it would take a heck of a lot of organizing to get that moved in any state house or Congress. Part of the challenge would be leverage. Scabs would abound if a small group of U.S. based freelancers stopped freelancing. Public actions would be difficult to say the least. The other route would be developing a substantial PAC and basing funding on support of such a position. That too would present a lot of challenges, not the least of which is raising sufficient funding.

In my state, we've been trying to get a child ombudsman for poor and impoverished children moved for 20+ years...and if that shouldn't be politically popular on both sides of the aisle, I don't know what would be.

I think it's a good idea though.

3. witchwriter

Registered Member

I like the idea of an ombudsman for poor and impoverished children.

But look at a site like black hat world. They are talking about ripping sites and spinning articles and falsifying Paypal accounts. There are do many people underbidding. How can anyone say they have 17000 articles and the rate is $1 per 300 words?

4. chundley

Registered Member

See, if the employers demanded it... I could see Google demanding something like that to address black hat SEO methods.

5. witchwriter

Registered Member

I was reading yesterday on this black hat forum about every scheme under the sun. Why would youbeven submit a siggy URL to a site full if hackers and scrapers_?