Client refusing payment

NDGKEGS

Registered Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a little issue I haven’t had before and was hoping for some advice.
I work as a freelance copywriter and content writer and have done successfully for a good while now since leaving a Head of Content job for a global charity last year.
I work with a consultant who pitches me out to her clients, although I manage these once the projects are agreed (although do not discuss payment with them).
I’ve had a tricky ride with the current org I am working for. It’s a complicated business, they refused to give a proper brief (just a half hour phone call) or any documents to help me with a story that charted their entire history...involved three hours of interviews with various people ect.
Anyway...I delivered the project and they were not happy with it, although they couldn’t particularly put their finger on why. I asked what was working, what wasn’t...I’m not sure they really know what they wanted themselves.
I agreed to take another look and supplied again.
They have come back again and said it’s still not quite what they were after. Basically because I haven’t put every single thing they have worked on over twenty years into a blog post which, in my opinion, is already far too long.
I had another go, and I had the same response. I have offered to work again for an additional day (given I am actually already two days over given the complications with them).
At this stage, we have run out of agreed revision stages and I have already spent way over my allocated and agreed days on the project. Although I feel it is time to part ways with them, I haven’t said this yet.
They have said to me that they are not happy to pay for the work or time delivered.
I haven’t mentioned this to the consultant yet, who will actually bill them.
But what are my rights here?
I have a signed off quote for the days to be worked and I have delivered the project to, what I feel, is a high standard and without any meaningful feedback on how to get it to where they want - despite my best efforts to get this out of them.
Is the consultant legally required to pay me, and them pay the consultant - based on signed off quotes for work?
I plan to discuss this with the consultant on Friday when they are back in the Uk but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem before?

OP
OP
N

NDGKEGS

Registered Member
Reaction score
I should probably add, the end clients are not marketing or communications folk. They work in public services....
And I think the issue is stemming from each revision being looked at by numerous people - and new people popping up all the time. Definitely a case of too many cooks and I was warned this could happen.
All a bit frustrating! :rolleyes:

matthemattical

Registered Member
Reaction score
Oof, I've been on a few projects like that. Personally, I think you should get paid for the work. You did the agreed upon work at the agreed upon quality. If you have a contract or agreement of some sort, does it stipulate what happens in case either party wants to quit? Or, can you talk to the consultant about what you're thinking?

Your assessment sounds correct. Too many people involved in the decision seems to make it impossible for any one result to be the correct one. Someone will always have something to say. They probably need to narrow it down to one or two decision makers.