This site uses JavaScript—Adblock must be disabled to view some JavaScript functions

Welcome to LanceBase

Ready to join the forum? A diverse community of freelance professionals awaits.

Can You Really Make A Living With Online Work?

Discussion in 'Freelance Community Chat' started by bethel, Aug 1, 2017.

1. bethel

Registered Member

I hope you've been well. How is online work/ business taking you?

I asked several of my FB friends what they tell their parents or relatives about their work. Or more importantly, what do their relatives say they do for a living? The answers were as diverse as they come. And funny too. But the consensus was that most people don't get what we do. And they don't think there's serious money in online work. what is your experience?

2. witchwriter

Registered Member

People get very envious. I'd watch you you tell. They'll retail the knowledge to other people assume its's a cakewalk because that's what they aspire to.
    You can't make a whole living writing content online unless you are churning out copy by the hour. a associated content used to be OK if you got to level 10 and your page views were in the ten thousands. By then almost all your stories got bids. THEN THE MONTHLY DRIBBLES came cha chinging in. But when you see your on the mainpage you think wait I got paid $4 for that story ands on the front page? And you could guarantee publication for a while with a photo.

But that gotbwatered down after Yahoo bought AC. Snd a lot of domainers retired. They were the buyers. You can supplement a less demanding job with online income.
    But until print magazines stop playing favorites and using their editorial power to make it a popularity contest, only big names get those gigs.
    The startup webmasters are new bare bones sites that without big bucks can't really matter in the online media world.
    I see people launching new online ventures every day but they won't hear a word against their business model. They might be one tick off from a lightning strike but they are too stubborn to turn the page.
    Considering how consistently we gobble up everything online fresh content is a must especially if Google retires every thing every 6 years. you can see how Huffpost and Vanity Fair are former news and opinion outlets turned into political footballs. Slate and Salon are elitist rags.
    Where does the common man go for critical must read content? A million domainers are all trying to subdivide the same eyeballs into thinner and thinner pie sections.
    Until the leisure class turns their bank accounts to new writers online micro content gigs are everything that's left.

3. bethel

Registered Member

Great insights, I always tell my friends to diversify and not just rely on one set of skill, by doing this you creat multiple income sources.