Better way to get freelance gigs

johnlee80

Registered Member
Reaction score
I've got a question for freelancers using upwork.com to find gigs.

Does anyone feel that sometimes it's hard to land a gig that you really wanted because there are too many people going for the same project?
I'm in this same boat and thought, what if, instead of applying for these jobs, the job was just open to everyone willing to do the job, they would be able to start as soon as they clicked on a button. All details of the job would be available as well as all of the assets (if needed). The job would start/end on a specific day. Once everyone completes the job, the owner would then be able to choose one of the completed projects. And for those that didn't get chosen, you would still be able to add that to your resume as experience for a real project.

I feel like this would be a win/win situation for both freelancers and project owners. The freelancers would get to work on a variety of projects, paid or not and project owners would get a completed project done in less time, by not wasting time thinking about which freelancer to choose.

Would anyone be interested with this kind of format?

PocketFreud

Registered Member
Reaction score
This was the basis of our original partner program: write posts for partner brands, get the by-line, and a foot in the door if they want to hire you for more.

It worked quite well for beginners trying to build up their portfolio and win some jobs! But more seasoned freelancers don’t want to take the time to complete a project that they’re not guaranteed to get paid for. And they have a point.

I guess it comes down to where you’re at in your freelance journey.

johnlee80

Registered Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input! Good to know somebody had a similar idea :). But what if there were enough newbie freelancers to keep the new job posts rolling in. And maybe some of the newbie freelancers would move from places like upwork.com to create more opportunities for the seasoned freelancers there.

PocketFreud

Registered Member
Reaction score
But what if…
I always love an idealist. We should chat more about a system like this; if you are passionate about pioneering it, we may be able to help you make it happen! Feel free to reach me via email jeremy @ gigloft.com or FB/Li at the bottom of my personal site: jeremy.chevallier.net