This site uses JavaScript—Adblock must be disabled to view some JavaScript functions

Welcome to LanceBase

Ready to join the forum? A diverse community of freelance professionals awaits.

Best Freelance Platform of 2017 - Polls Now OPEN

Discussion in 'Freelance Community Chat' started by LanceBase, Jan 13, 2017.

?

As A Freelancer, Which Platform Do You Prefer?

This poll will close on Dec 31, 2017 at 7:57 PM.
  1. Envato

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. Fiverr

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. Freelancer

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Guru

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. People Per Hour

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. Toptal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Upwork

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  8. 99designs

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. LanceBase

LanceBase Administrator
    Staff Member

2017 LanceBase Platform Comparison Thread

Amid discussions about freelancing and making money online, the freelance platform comes into view. Your honest opinions about these platforms are important in helping us to keep LanceBase content valuable and relevant to the community.

What's the best freelance platform of 2017? Why?
    Have a success story? Bad experience?
    We want to hear from you, the Freelancer.

This thread will close on Dec. 31st, 2017. You may change your vote at any time, but may only vote once.

Reminder: In this thread we're focusing on the 8 most widely recognized freelance platforms/marketplaces that 2017 has to offer. The lineup will update accordingly, annually. To nominate a new platform for inclusion please do so here.

2. NovellaQueen

Registered Member

I voted for Upwork but I only actually use 3 of these sites. Upwork has lots of work, it's easy to search the site and they offer a decent amount of protection. I have been ripped off by dealing directly with clients before so I prefer to have that safety net. Having said that, I don't like that they raised the fee they take from us by 100%! Now I lose 20% of what the client pays me, and to compensate I had to raise my hourly fee which has probably cost me some work. Still, overall it is a decent site.

3. Misty

Registered Member

Fiverr because it is so simple: list what you do, list extension options, and the clients come to you. There's a lot less debate or chances for misunderstandings or scope creep when what I am going to do is defined immediately up front. My only complaint is the percentage they take in payment for each task sold.

4. witoldtech

Registered Member

5. h3ct0r

Registered Member

Saw this on reddit, couldn't help myself. Envato is by far the best. Most of the others only pretend to care about us.

6. Starbrite

Registered Member

I tried fiverr, but they all of a sudden deleted my account and other top sellers there several years back, and they just kept all our money without even having the decency to give us any valid reason. Just some canned message saying that we violated terms. We are the ones who really helped build their site up and they screwed us over! We even rallied together and tried to contact them on their social media pages about it when we couldn't get any answers from the site directly, but each time we put up a post for someone to hopefully respond, they just deleted it and just kept dodging and running. Talk about shady! After that experience, I realized that Fiverr is run by a bunch of crooks and they are a very shady bunch. It's people like this who make me very leery about freelancing today. I don't have any favorite freelance site at this time, but I have recently joined Upwork, we'll see how it goes.

7. luffyzorro2012

Registered Member

I have accounts in some if not all the sites listed on the poll. In particular fiverr and Upwork. I also tried my luck in PTC and affiliate marketing. What I learned over the years of being in this field is one must have patience for freelancing does not always cooperate. Like in my upwork for example, I have not found employers yet.

8. ienma83

Registered Member

I have participated in a few other sites before. It could be different as I am from malaysia, the options are not the same as compared to the USA. But Freelancer is one that I have used and its actually quite good.

9. witoldtech

Registered Member

Proof of this?

10. GrecyGarcia

Registered Member

I only know Freelancer and Upwork. I am a member of both for quite some time now but unfortunately, if you do not have reputation or skills, even experience, it is hard to get a job there. You really need to impress the clients before anything else. I had a work done at Upwork but that is with the help of my friend who already had established clients on the site. The job didn't last long, though I have to admit the pay was good. I only browse Freelancer and I can't find the job I could do. I might check Guru.

11. Starbrite

Registered Member

Don't have no proof, and not going years back. You can believe it or not. I have no reason to lie. If you simply search Fiverr Scam in the search engines I'm sure you'll find a whole lot of dirt!

12. Slughorn

Registered Member

As with anything else in life that is worthwhile, you have to put in the work before you can enjoy the benefits, but it is possible to make a really good living out of freelancing. I like Freelancer best because of the five or six platforms that I've tried over the years, it's the one where I got jobs most easily.

13. Slayer

Registered Member

For me I've always found fiverr to be the most effective platform when looking for work. I have accounts with almost all of the above, but fiverr is where I get really good clients who keep coming back.

14. Sheryl

Registered Member

I have only started using Freelancer after playing with Upwork for a few months. I liked Upwork's layout and system; it is neatly organized and easy for beginners when I first started. The desktop app is useful in notifying us while we are not active on the website. Freelancer, on the other hand, seems more complicated. The results of search system are not very to-the-point at first glance. Upwork is still my favorite up to this date.

15. Tito

Registered Member

Freelancer seems the best to me. I have tried most of the platforms listed above, and when it comes to finding work and getting paid on time and not getting scammed to do work for free, I think that Freelancer is the best.

16. DoodleBug

Registered Member

I have experience with several sites listed in the poll, both as a freelancer and as an employer, so I feel I have a unique perspective. I think my favorite so far is Upwork, and that is where I have gotten most of my clients. I like the platform, I love the choice of projects and I have made much more beneficial contacts there. I have also made good pay compared to other avenues.

lone_star likes this.
  17. lone_star

Registered Member

Im not callin you a liar but I wouldnt mind seeing proof of this someday, because like you said there is a whole lot of people who say it. I could be lookin in the wrong places but it looks like most are cases of users getting mad cause they got caught doin something wrong. Have a good link we can look at?

18. WWFC

Registered Member

I looked at this site the other day but found it a bit confusing. For example, I wasn't sure how much of what you wrote in a bid to the client can be seen by others. I don't like the whole concept of bidding anyway, fixed fees are better.

19. Jerrynkyles

Registered Member

Envato is good for freelancers offering website building or graphic related services. Lots of sites try to cover all bases, so having one that is more focused saves me time and effort when looking for new clients.

h3ct0r likes this.
  20. jenihiggs

Registered Member

I really like Fiverr because the customers come to me. I've been able to sell my memoir writing services for really decent money and through Fiverr I pull in a little over a thousand each month. I also use Upwork, but I don't like how the bidding process drives down pay. On Fiverr, I set my own prices and customers come to me. There's no haggling :)

witoldtech likes this.