This site uses JavaScript—Adblock must be disabled to view some JavaScript functions

Welcome to LanceBase

Ready to join the forum? A diverse community of freelance professionals awaits.

Anxiety when freelancing, anyone? How do you manage it?

Discussion in 'Freelance Community Chat' started by HeidiMull, May 6, 2017.

1. HeidiMull

HeidiMull Registered Member
    Supporter

Yesterday I stared working with a new client for housecleaning, and ran into a lot of anxiety. I have high standards for myself and am kinda terrified of messing up. My therapist is awesome for helping out with making life work, but I'm curious if anyone else has encountered anxiety with freelancing? Any specific tips on how you dealt with it?

Darlene likes this.
  2. Darlene

Registered Member

Yes I know the horrors of anxiety. I'm now the best I have been in a long time, but in 2012 I had crippling attacks for no reason. The kind that make you think you're dying. I was told I had floating anxiety and was given something called "clonazepam". I took it for a few days until I felt like I had some control again, then threw them in the trash. I read so many terrible stories about taking those pills. I still have occasional nauseous anxiety feelings when I'm in close quarters with people I don't know, but nothing like those crazy attacks. One good thing about them was that I learned things about myself, things that now help me fight the anxiety off before it gets nasty again. I don't know how severe your anxiety is, but one thing that helped me was right when I felt an attack coming, like racing heart or that metallic taste in your mouth, I would take a deep breath in and hold it for 5 seconds, then exhale. Repeating that about 3-4 times. Sometimes it worked by preventing me from hyperventilating, and sometimes the attacks were too powerful and knocked me down into the fetal position crying hysterically.

3. IanGarland

IanGarland Registered Member
    Supporter

You just have to remind yourself that you got where you are through hard work and a lot of effort! If you weren't cut out for it, you wouldn't have made it this far!

4. dawndgolden

Registered Member

I absolutely deal with anxiety with my freelance work. I find that having a very strict written schedule really allows me to stay focused and on track- which alleviates a lot of my worry. I have designated times throughout the day to do household, family, and work necessities- while also giving myself at least two hours of 'free time' (which helps if I need to catch up on a task that went off-track throughout the day). I also often take my work outside of the home. I'll go to a coffee shop or library where I have to sit and concentrate to prevent procrastination.

5. chundley

Registered Member

Sometimes I do when starting with a new client, also because of internally imposed standards. I have dealt with it accomplishing a small project beforehand - to use as an example to reinforce my capabilities to myself before I start the new project.

6. closed

closed Guest

Anxiety, this old acquantance of mine that always visit when finances are starting to sink. I think handling it comes down to three things:
    - Keeping finances in order. Sure, when one freelances full-time, each payment feels like the last one. So, bills (and the risk of starving to death) are a constant threat, and a source of anxiety. A nice cushion of savings can help smooth the anxiety.
    - Taking care of yourself. Yes I am anxious because I care for my work, but also because I had spent the last 2-3 days only sitting on my desk with a cup of coffee, looking for that gig I can apply. Instead, exercising regularly makes you feel better, and even less anxious on the long term. Also, having a hobby, and resting appropiately do wonders here.
    - Having a schedule and/or some purposes to achieve during the day. As @dawndgolden mentioned earlier, having a schedule and preventing proscrastination are unvaluable to keep anxiety at bay and make you more productive.

7. chundley

Registered Member

Definitely agree with sleep and exercise as well.

8. witchwriter

Registered Member

anxiety is what comes from being a people pleaser. I have this until I realize I am getting worked by a crazy client or run ragged by an indecisive content hirer. Way too many people out there who take assignments and then subcontract. then you start hearing about all kinds if things never mentioned in the original assignment.
    When a client makes it easy to walk away from the work, sometimes walking away is the smart move.